He is the recent winner of Legislator of the Year awards from the Texas Association of Counties, the County Judges and Commissioners Association of Texas, and the Texas Municipal League.
He was also selected as the Equity Center's Champion for Children Award and was the recipient of the Taxpayer Champion Award from the Small Business Access To Capital Foundation.
First elected in 1981, he currently ranks fifth in overall seniority of the 150 members of the Texas House of Representatives.
He is a past chairman of the Ways and Means Committee, the House Economic Development Committee, and has served as a past vice-chairman of the House Public Education Committee. He is a past chairman of the Cameron County Democratic Party, and has served as a delegate to multiple National Democratic Party Conventions.
Representative Oliveira has also served as a member of the Appropriations Committee, Insurance Committee, Regulated Industries Committee, Local and Consent Calendars Committee, and the Public Health Committee in the Texas House. He additionally served as co-chairman of the Joint Select Committee on NAFTA and GATT, and presided over the Legislative Workforce Select Oversight Committee.
A senior partner in the Brownsville-McAllen law firm of Roerig, Oliveira, and Fisher, he is the father of two adult children. A Brownsville, Texas native, he is a graduate of Brownsville High School, the University of Texas and the University of Texas School of Law.
The dean of the Rio Grande Valley legislative delegation, Rep. Oliveira has long been an advocate for increasing funding for public schools, job creation, improving water and wastewater projects for Texas colonias, increasing minority university attendance, and ensuring clean beaches and park space for future generations.
- Texas Equity Center Champion For Children Award
- Legislator of the Year Texas Municipal League
- Legislator of the Year Texas Association of Counties
- Legislator of the Year County Judges and County Commissioners Association of Texas
- Taxpayer Champion Award, Small Business Access to Capital Foundation
- Chairman, House Committee on Land and Resource Management
- Former Chairman, House Committee on Ways and Means
- Former Chairman, House Committee on Economic Development
- Former Vice Chairman, House Committee on Public Education
- Former Co-Chairman, Select Committee on NAFTA and GATT
- Former Chairman, Legislative Workforce Oversight Committee
- Past Chairman, Cameron County Democratic Party
- National Democratic Convention Delegate
- Outstanding Supporter Award, The Wind Coalition
- Smart on Crime Award, Texas Criminal Justice Coalition
- Homeland Security Award, Associated Security Services and Investigators of the State of Texas
- Distinguished Legislator Award, Cameron County